Revamped Bakhuis Tank

Today’s post is post #12 in #30postshathsept.  Check out the rest of the posts here.

Last night I started the multi-step process of splitting my tarapotos up.  A good sign of a productive night is when you still have dirt under your fingernails the next day.

IMG_3265I have now emptied all the water out of the bottom of the Bakhuis tank. The water height was higher than I was expecting so I ended up taking everything out and siphoning out the water and then squeezing the water out of the substrate to mix in with new substrate.  It is definitely still a work in progress, but it is much better and healthier for the frogs without the extra water.

Below is the before photo, taken a couple of months ago:

img_1179

After all water was emptied and screening was put back over eggcrate with rocks on top of the edges here is what it looked like:

IMG_3225Here are a couple of current photos.  I did remove one of the shelves in the back.  I had just replanted the plants so I will take some more photos after they get re-established.

I spy 2 Bakhuis in the first photo.  Can you find both of them?

IMG_3236 IMG_3243

Here are a couple this morning.  One with a new piece of wood and the other without.  Which do you prefer?  I am not sold on it with or without the wood, but felt it needed something.

IMG_3251 IMG_3259  I hope that this weekend I will have time to finish up the tarapoto tank & drain that as well & then figure out sexes of frogs and start pairing them up so I can split them into 2 tanks!  This is a very daunting task, because I am basically taking apart 3 tanks and redoing them all one after another instead of all at once like my engineer mind thinks I should be doing it.  However,  individually is good to ensure that I can get them done & each frog is back in their tanks in the quickest amount of time.

Happy Friday!

Like “The Frog Lady” on facebook or follow aapanaro on instagram to get some sneak peeks into the frog lady’s frog room!  

thefroglady

Subscribe by email for the latest updates or Join me on facebook and like “The Frog Lady” to get all the latest updates on your newsfeed.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Revamped Bakhuis Tank

  1. Tip to suck out extra water: turkey baster. Some people even put in a standpipe so they don’t have to disturb the substrate at all.

    And I think the wood sticks out like a sore thumb. Try some hardwood driftwood from a fish store?

    1. Yep, we siphoned out the water until it wouldn’t anymore and then I finished it off with a turkey baster! One of my other tanks has a standpipe and that was pretty nice when I drained that a month or two ago.

      Yep that’s where I got the wood from! I just placed it in this morning before work so I am thinking I will place it under the background plants and put some moss on it to see if it will take over like in some of my other tanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s